Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Monday, October 14, 2013

A Belated Happy Birthday...

...and also a belated blog post. I originally wrote this blog post this morning (whilst on the school run, I am such a multitasker!) but the blogger app on my phone decided it didn't want to do as it should, and my post was sent into the ether, never to be seen again! So here it is again...

I have wanted to share this week's make with you for several weeks really, but it was a birthday gift, and I wanted the recipient to see it before the Internet did. We have only just managed to get together, so my friend's present was fashionably late in getting to her. But at last she has it in her possession, and I can show it to you.

(Please excuse the picture quality. I wasn't really aware how rubbish the picture was until I have tried to upload it here!)


My friend is a talented jewellery maker, and I know she enjoys handmade things too. I decided to make part of her present for her, and wanted to do something I haven't done before. I have a pattern for a crocheted necklace, which I have had for a few years, and never attempted...in my defence I bought the pattern because it had a lovely flower brooch pattern, not for the necklace, and I have made the brooch a couple of times) I had some lovely pink and pale purple (I guess you could call it lilac!) cotton dk so I dug out a crochet hook and set off to make it. Each of the flowers is hand sewn on, with a button at its centre, I initially was going to use the same buttons, but decided in the end that a variety would be more effective, and I'm glad I chose to do that. I am also pleased that I didn't make as many flowers as there are on the pattern as I think I got the balance just right, more flowers would have looked too heavy I think.
I like the effect of it overall, and I think crocheted jewellery is something I might look into doing again. not sure I'll go for the wire version though, as pretty as it is, I think I like the soft look that using cotton gives.

Of course I will be linking up with Wendy for handmade Monday and as soon as I get a few spare minutes I'll be having a look at the fab blogs showcased there. If you have liked what you have read here, then you will definitely like the bloggers who take part in Handmade Monday, so do yourselves a favour and have a look!

I am hoping to have a new little venture up and running in the next few days. It is in response to a few requests from friends, as well as a new direction my family life is taking...more will be revealed soon.

Have a great week!

5 comments:

Lucy Blossom said...

A lovely necklace and I'm sure it was a much appreciated gift.

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

It is lovely - I cannot crochet and am always impressed by how beautiful it looks. Hope you have a good week.

Anonymous said...

I too like the variety of buttons. It looks lovely and I am sure that it was really appreciated. x

Helen said...

Thanks ladies x

Rachel said...

So Helen, what is this new venture of yours? I know I am too nosy!