Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday Morning Blues.

I don't normally suffer from Monday Morning Blues. Shift work means that Monday doesn't always mean work, although I tend to work Mondays for childcare reasons. But since I'm on Fat Leave at the mo, that doesn't even count! This morning, however, is a bit different. Four hours sleep (thanks Teaghan) means I've been awake since about 3. I gave up trying to get littlest 'un back to sleep at 6 and got up. Guess what? I am now the only one awake and not snoring. Except the cat.

Since it's bank holiday and of course it's persisting down here in the Manchester area (I know that's difficult to believe!)  we need to decide how to spend the day. We had planned a family day out, which normally would be fun. But I hate going out on Bank Holidays at the best of times because the world and his dog are out, and finding somewhere inexpensive and unaffected by the weather is not easy. Plus do I really want to spend my precious family time playing Dodge the Scrote at Heaton Park or something? So, what to do today? Think I'll leave it to Himself to decide, then if it turns out badly I can blame him!

Of course it's Handmade Monday today. That will be a pleasant way to spend the next hour or so until the Flip Flop wakes up, so as soon as I've posted this blog I will be wandering over to visit Wendy at 1st Unique Gifts to nosey at what everyone has been up to!

My contribution to Handmade Monday is a little bit on the small size this week. Innocent Smoothie Bottle Hat small actually. I mentioned this in my blog last week, and it's just another reminder that Innocent drinks are running their Age UK campaign again this year, so get your needles and your stash and get knitting! All for a good cause, for each hat they will give 25p to Age UK. Here's my little contribution so far:


You can find out more on the Innocent Smoothie Big Knit page They have patterns for the hats as well, though I notice that they haven't got crochet patterns this year, only knitting ones.

We have been somewhat slacking in the old Takeaway Challenge stakes recently. I'm sure you understand given the tiny baby in the house. But I did make a valiant effort on Saturday to make Fajitas. From scratch, tortillas and all. Well, they weren't strictly fajitas. Nor were they tortillas. They were flat breads, and the filling was just chicken/quorn with a BBQ seasoning, sour cream dip and onions and peppers.  But the flat breads were home made, and surprisingly easy. No photo I'm afraid, because it was all a bit of a car crash tea, but it was eaten by everyone, even Caoimhe! 

Well it seems the house is stirring. Or at least the smallest one in it. so that's my peace shattered for the day!
Til next time!

6 comments:

Carolee Crafts said...

Can understand your lack of production line this week, having a new one in the house can be exhausting. Love the mini bottle hats.

Unknown said...

Those hats are really cute, I can't knit so I admire anyone who can produce anything with 2 needles.
Make sure you get some 'me' time, even if it's just a hour in the bath. It's exhausting with a little one and the blues can easily take over.

Wendy said...

I love the Innocent hats, too. Love them all lined up in the supermarket and I'm sure I buy them just because of the hats (can't be just me!) so it's probably a good marketing ploy as well as a good charity fundraiser.
Good luck with the bank holiday decisions - if I'm not doing a craft fair I prefer to stay at home on BH's - am getting through a lot of orders today! x

Anonymous said...

I would love to be able to knit those hats! and know what you mean about Manchester weather!! x

Unknown said...

Brilliant smoothy hats... just the thing for using up all that wool that is too long to throw away but too short to make anything with. Hope that the day was filled with sunshine with your family. :)

Rachel said...

Helen, I laughed outloud at the Dodge a Scrote comment! Hope you ended up having a good day today.

You really must be a domestic goddess to be able to craft, cook, blog and keep a two year old and a teeny weeny happy.