Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Monday, May 25, 2015

Breakfast yoghurt pots

I'd be lying if I said I came up with this idea myself, but it's such a simple and tasty breakfast, and one that's often on our table, I wanted to share it with you. I originally was told about it by a good friend who had, I believe, seen the recipe on the Slimming World website. Now please don't stop reading, thinking that this is diet food, and bound to be lacking something. It's not. What I want to show you is the bones of it, pad it out any way you like, with things you enjoy. See where it takes you.
For our breakfast pots I always start with the basics, and you must too. They are yoghurt, porridge oats and fruit. For 5 servings (3 are for children) I used 500g of natural yoghurt, about 80g of oats, and 120g of blueberries.
You want to start by putting some of your fruit in the bottom of your containers/glasses/beakers. I use plastic beakers because I have 3 children who like to drop things. And they're colourful.  Today I used frozen blueberries, of which I often have an abundance in my freezer. You can use anything you like, fresh or frozen, mix them up or have a single fruit, strawberry and kiwi work well, but blueberry is the run away favourite here.
Next cover the fruit with a layer of oats. Just enough, not too much. Roughly a dessert spoonful. Plain porridge oats, the kind you make porridge from scratch with, and even better is you can buy the cheap as chips stuff, it's just as good.
Then add a generous layer of yoghurt. Any type of yoghurt... Plain, natural, flavoured, Greek style... Choice is yours. Just remember if you are giving to children under 2 that you'll need it to be full fat, otherwise it really doesn't matter.
The next step is to repeat the layers, fruit, oats, yoghurt and optional - add a swirl of honey to the middle fruit layer if you so desire.
I like to top it with more fruit, just to make it pretty. You could add toasted oats or granola too.
Cover with cling film - and this is the hard part - and put in the fridge, for at least overnight, to let everything all soak together.
I make this usually the morning before I need them, and it does take a bit of forward planning. But it's definitely worth it!!

No comments: