Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Last Handmade Monday Before the Dreaded W Word.....

The last 10 months have gone too quickly and I am now back in the realm of Working Mums. My first shift back is on Thursday. Quite rude, really. But bills have to be paid unfortunately. I have really enjoyed being at home with my girls and being able to make and bake, but now I am going to have to get back into the habit of juggling making and baking with working.

So this post is a bit later than normal this week, as I am trying to cram lots of things into my last few days at home. Of course I am linking up with Wendy for Handmade Monday, which is a lovely community of crafty bloggers... have a bimble over later and see what they've all been up to.

This week I've continued in my pledge to make something new from one of my recipe books every week, and I successfully made soda bread. Successfully ate the lot, too... it's a great shame that Himself doesn't like soda bread. I guess it had to be eaten, though, to avoid waste. The girls did seem to enjoy it too. I can't believe I have avoided making it all these years, as it is easily the quickest and simplest bread I've made. No kneading, no proving either! Only thing is, it really has to be eaten within two days otherwise it's dry and pretty inedible really.
(no picture, btw... it was tasty without a doubt.... but not the prettiest loaf I've ever made... imagine the craggy rocks in Cumbria and you have some idea!)

I've been making too. A little ATC for the ATC Trail over on UK Scrappers


I used cosmic shimmer on the background again, but overdid it.(deliberately I have to add!) and the silver swirls are the offcuts from some ...well swirly cut outs that I got with a craft magazine ages ago.

And I had a great find in the charity shop, The Wooden Canal Boat Society last week too.



A bargain £2.50 for a lovely fabric covered box. I'm a sucker for nice boxes and thought this might be nice to store my ATCs in. Until I opened it.....


Handmade paper and envelopes... well that was that, I had to have it!

That's it for this week. Hoping to have something to show you next week, but what remains to be seen!
Til next time!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Helen, my mother used to refer to brown soda bread as tear**se bread... but we all loved eating it! Great find on the writing paper front... I am not sure what it is about stationery but you just have to have it, whether you need it or not!

Hope the return to work goes well :)

Carolee Crafts said...

Mu guilty pleasure is boxes and stationery, so bad. Hope your first shift goes okay, will be thinking of you sipping Pimms on the trerrace

Claire Cooper said...

know what you mean about juggling blogging crafting and work. After over a year of not working full time. I'm increasing my hours and will be full time in September. when will I find time to create?

Fiddly Fingers said...

Sorry to hear you have to return to work this week. Hope it goes well for you.

What a lovely find you had in the charity shop.

fatmonica said...

Love the ATC.That box of stationery is gorgeous-how come I didn't see it?!

Penny said...

Good luck with work, it's hard changing gear like that. Love the stationery, what a great find!

Wendy said...

Hope the return to work goes well. Your ATC is lovely and the stationery box is lovely too. I agree, there's something quite lovely about nice stationery.

Pickle Lily said...

GHope yesterday was not too traumatic! Remember crafting is what keeps you sane - even if it is a snatched 5 minutes! Have a good week-end.
jo x

Rachel said...

Hi lovely, hope work hasn't been too terrible. I'm dreading going back and that isn't for months and months yet.

You are such a fab mommy I am sure that you will make lots of time for fun with the girls.

xx

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

I hope you first day back at work went well Helen- time seems to have rushed by for the last few months. Look forward to hearing how you got on.