Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Monday, June 6, 2011

Recycling (and fairies!)

Well it's the start of another week, and time to mention Handmade Monday over on Wendy's blog. A lovely opportunity to see what fellow crafters have been getting up to, and maybe get a bit of inspiration too :)

I've had my Domestic Goddess head firmly in place this week. On the food front there's been lots of freezing and cooking going on, stews, pasta bakes etc, all in a vain attempt to rein in the pennies a little bit now I'm a lady of leisure - well for the next 9 months or so anyway. I've even repaired a pair of Tim's jeans which have been languishing in the bedroom for ages waiting for me to do something with them. A bit disappointed that I successfully mended them actually, since I was making plans on how to upcycle them! However it has saved us some money on buying a new pair, so I suppose I should be thankful (and proud!) of that fact!

While I had the sewing machine out I also knocked up a couple of phone socks too. They started off as a couple of odd socks and had been lying unloved in the sock box for ages, waiting for their partners to return, but I fear the Sock Fairy may have whisked them away for her own means. Well, honestly, what is the other explanation for the disappearance of socks?! Quite pleased with the results.

Tim's new phone sock

This one's heading for my sister!

We also had a visit from the Dummy Fairy this week. Caoimhe has done very well, sleeping without her dummy now for 2 nights, and with minimal fuss. This was her reward:


It took me a couple of days to make it, and there was a fair bit of swearing late on Saturday night when I was rushing to finish it for her to wake up to on Sunday morning. It is partially machine sewn and hand sewn. Not the neatest of finishes, but the first toy I have made since Needlework lessons at school when I was 12! Probably the last one I will make for a while, or at least until I forget how much I swore making this one!

Off to make chocolate crispie cakes now with the Flip Flop. Yep, there is *still* chocolate in the house - not many people can say that in June, can they!

15 comments:

Wendy said...

The elephant is so lovely and it looks like the swearing and late nights were worth it!

Thank you for taking part in Handmade Monday x

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

I'm sure the elephant will become a firm favourite with your daughter

Carolee Crafts said...

The elephant is so sweet and a lovely reward

Claire Cooper said...

the Elephant is lovely - I also haven't made toys since school.

Unknown said...

I love the socks, they make me smile! Your elephant looks very regal, pink is the new regal purple, tee hee!

Kazies Magical Designs said...

what a lovely gift a great swap for a dummy I would say great idea with the old socks !! where do they go I have the same problem in my house they only seem to turn up once I have cleared the old ones out lol xxx

Jan said...

Well done on the dummy swap, great elephant, well worth the swearing and late night.

Jan x

Kat Shenton said...

Cute elephant!

Interesting you have fairies that steal socks. I think I have a sock monster under my bed, and one by my washing machine. I have MANY pairs of odd socks. Good idea though! Keeping your phone warm that is ;)

Your Friend Susie said...

I'm in LOVE with the little elephant! When my youngest son was a little boy he used to bring me paper and pencil and ask me to draw him an elephant (I have no idea why and it's not like I was particularly skilled). That's what I thought of when I saw your adorable little elephant toy! Makes me think I could come up with something like that. Of course mine might look more like something PIcasso would do. Yours is really awesome.

Little Harriet said...

Awww that elephant is just fantastic!
LH
x

PuppyFly Boutique said...

I love the colours on the elephant - bet she loved it :) I want some chocolate now... x

Martha said...

ha ha this elephant is dead cute! :)

Unknown said...

Your elephant is lovely, I'm sure your daughter loves it.
Great idea for those odd socks, I seem to have loads. I must get regular visits from the odd sock fairy too. There was me thinking that my washing machine ate them.

June said...

Lovely colourful looking elephant, nice bright purple sock phone cover as well.

fatmonica said...

That elephant is just gorgeous!I'm sure Caoimhe will treasure it for a long time to come!