Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Thursday, May 12, 2011

My Old Man's Birthday - done!

Last week was the culmination of all the weeks of mental prep that went into making my dad's 65th birthday cake. I have to admit, I did leave it a tad on the late side. Though in my defence, I couldn't really do much until the end of the week unless we wanted stale or mouldy cake! But as I was anxiously staring at the oven door on Thursday afternoon, desperately hoping that this time it wasn't going to sink like the Titanic there was a little bit of panic beginning to creep in.

In the end the sponge cakes were fine. If anyone needs to know, to make a victoria cake of 26cm width it takes an 8 egg mixture. I still swear by Hugh F-W's recipe of weight for weight, but using 4 eggs per sandwich used about 10oz of flour/fat/sugar. I made the mixture in 2 batches of 4 eggs. The main reason being in case I ballsed it all up, if you have 2 sandwich tins of 26cm and feel brave, then, hell, go for the 8!

The icing of the cake was a bit of a challenge too. I knew what I wanted to acheive but did have to change my plans when the fondant didn't want to do what I wanted it to do, ie lie straight on the sides. Of course the observant amongst you will immediately recognise my problem. I was icing a sandwich cake, not a fruit on, and of course they naturally don't have rod straight sides. But a bit of imagination but that one right. It wasn't flawless, and I'm sure that mr Goldman isn't exactly quaking in his boots, but I was quite happy with the results:







As for the card, well of course I had to make that as well. But I was much less organised (no, really!) and I don't really have a lot of *manly* stuff in my craft stash (will have to address that) so I resorted to the leftover watch parts and some more masculine style paper. I haven't asked dad what he thought of the card yet!



That's it for me on the cake front for a while I think. Caoimhe keeps telling everyone that I am making her birthday cake for her, but we have 5 months to go before that. She'll forget, won't she? Surely??

1 comment:

fatmonica said...

Great cake and a fabulous card.He'll love them!